In Birmingham, MI, your boat insurance provider will cover most reasonable hazards, but you might find your claim being denied if you don’t practice basic boating safety. Here are some tips:
- Always check the weather beforehand. Even strong winds can make a simple boat trip a lot more dangerous than it needs to be.
- Keep your life jacket on. If you’re on board, there’s no good reason to take it off.
- Take it slow around the docks and other boats. A lot of the damages boats suffer comes from the wake kicked up by passing boats, knocking them into one another.
- Don’t drink and boat. If you’re going to have a few beers while out on a fishing trip, sober up before bringing it home, or have someone else operate the vessel.
- Keep your emergency kit on hand. Water, food, batteries, flashlight, first-aid kit, flares. Keep it on deck, and keep it stocked up.
- Always shut your engine off when approaching swimming areas, and don’t let anyone board or step off of your boat while the engine is idling.
- Make sure that everyone on board is briefed on boat safety. Failing to educate your passengers about the dangers of boating can be read as negligence.
- In the event of a boat capsizing: If someone’s still on the boat, turn the motor off. If not, get everyone away from the boat. Float on your back, do a headcount, and carefully paddle to safety.
If you’re looking to get covered in Birmingham, MI, get in touch with us at High Favor Insurance. Call, stop by the offices, or visit the High Favor Insurance website and let us see what we can do for you.